Thursday, August 9, 2012

View My Spring 2012 One-Woman Quilt Show

A One-Woman Quilt Show in March 2012

In the Spring of 2012, I was invited by the Utah Quilt Guild to prepare and mount a one-woman quilt show to hang for the month of March in the Deseret Hospital (historic recreation) building on the campus of This Is The Place State Park. March is the month the LDS Church celebrates the birthday of the Relief Society Organization, and the Park has for several years held special public events. The quilt show and a lecture day were planned as part of this celebration.


Quilts hang over the stairwell surround
It is always fun to collect my quilts together, then plan a display. I am  invigorated to think of more projects when I see almost the entire collection that I still have access to. The Guild supplied volunteers to help put the quilt show up and then drop it, along with the guidance and assistance of the Guild liaison Lisa Wegener who is a long-time quilting friend of mine (and a former docent at the LDS Museum of Art). 




Flower Block monthly quilts plus cover quilt for Quilt World
Here are photos of the display. The quilts were hung in the two upstairs galleries which have wonderfully high ceilings and a relatively good amount of lighting in a historic building. FYI, the recreation of the early hospital facility for the Salt Lake Valley pioneer settlers is on the first floor. 




C
A fabric-covered cork board shows Christmas collection
"Veiled & Revealed" art quilt with parables theme

Some of the LDS pattern models


It was gratifying to hear generous comments of those seeing the display. One evening I was even blessed enough to attend the tour with a group of friends from the South Jordan 9th Ward. Being there with friends made it extra special.







"Aspire!" quilt, nearby pieces, framed photos of comp quilts













A group of storybook quilts

Three blue quilts - my favorite hue!
Englebreit panel quilt, original Christmas stars
There were a few other images, and many other quilts, but this is a representative sampling. 
Glad to share the fun that I experienced during the event.
Hope you have enjoyed viewing.


3 comments:

  1. What a nice Collection of Quilting Projects... I just joined this Blog and was looking at some of the back articles... Great Job... what a Honor to be chosen for this display...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi,
    I always remembered you being a quilter and after attending a showing of Hari Walner's work I thought I would look for you. I am Julie Rino Cohen from Camille St. I embroidered a quilt top and will be doing some trapunto work prior to having someone else quilt the rest of it.
    I had two kids prior to doing my medical training as a PA. I was a single parent so had limited time when I was younger. I am now retired and returning to things I really enjoyed. You have some beautiful work and I an so glad I found your blog.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I responded to the comcast.net email. Hope you found my response there! So glad you reached out to me.

      Delete